I wanted a new dress to wear to Birmingham to meet up with Roisin, Kat, Amy and Sabs a few weekends back and luckily this dress came together surprisingly quickly.
I borrowed the Macaron pattern from Roisin late last year as I fancied making a version of it myself, but it wasn't until the last Birmingham blogger meet-up in the summer that I found fabric I wanted to make the dress out of. The fabric is (predictably) from Barry's Fabric Warehouse - this is fast becoming my all-time favourite place to buy fabric! Both fabrics are cotton with a slight stretch to them which adds a little bit more comfort to the dress.
I sewed up a straight size 6 as a muslin to test for fit, thinking I'd have to do a small bust adjustment on the dress but it turns out it wasn't necessary. It was slightly tighter on my than I like though so I sewed 1/2" side seams instead of the usual 5/8" seams and this made it much more comfortable to wear. I also added 1" to the length of the bodice and 2" to the length of the skirt (and sewed the scantest of hems) to keep the skirt as long as possible.
I'm in love with lapped zips now so I decided to do a lapped side zip rather than the invisible side zip the instructions recommended - I much prefer lapped zippers to invisible zips - so much less complicated and they look great too!
I didn't bother lining the dress as I'll wear a slip underneath it in the winter anyway, and serged all the raw edges for neatness' sake.
I wore this dress all day on Saturday (the photos of me in the dress are courtesy of Roisin!) and it is so comfortable, I love it!
Other than that, there's very little to add. I've got the bodice pieces for the Elisalex dress cut out ready to make a muslin of, so hopefully I'll get round to sewing that up at some point (half term is in a week). I'm determined not to let school planning get in the way of my sewing this year so I'm going to try and give myself a little time to sew every day - even if its just half an hour.